June 8, 2008

Show me the Scotsman

Shane here with a little contribution of my own....

Don't let the red t-shirts fool you - both Colin and Spencer have blood that runs navy blue. Here are the words to the song:

Show me the Scotsman who doesn't love the thistle
Show me the Englishman who doesn't love the rose
Show me the true-blooded Aggie from Utah
Who doesn't love the spot (clap, clap) where the sagebrush grows!


GO AGGIES!!



A story related to this song:

One time I picked up Colin from his friend Patrick's house, and instead of being happy to see me (as he usually is) Colin came stomping towards the front door with frustration written all over his face.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Patrick doesn't know the Scotsman!" he nearly yelled. "Patrick's Mom doesn't know the Scotsman - nobody knows the Scotsman!"

Patrick's Mom came up with a very apologetic look on her face and added, "I'm sorry, we just don't know what this 'Scotsman' is that he's talking about. He tried to teach us, but we couldn't understand him."

I guess I should be a normal parent and teach my kids some real children's songs, eh?

8 comments:

lynnett said...

IS this the song your grandpa Markus Hart wrote or where did this song come from? The boys are cute!! Put more pictures on of you apartment and such!!! Show us how Katie's head looks now.

Karleen said...

Very cute. I love to see pictures of the boys. It has been a long time since we have seen them and we probably won't be seeing them soon so keep up the blogging I love it.

Shane Hart said...

For Lynnett, no, this isn't the song that my grandfather wrote. That song (the official fight song) and the Scotsman are played probably equally as frequently at Aggie games, though. If you've ever been to an Aggie game, the Scotsman is the song that is sung while the crowd does all of the arm movements in unison (which is pretty cool to see in person.)

I'm not sure where the Scotsman came from, but it's been around longer than I have, that's for sure.

Shane Hart said...

Here's a link that shows the Scotsman at a basketball game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24gog3CSSA

Ignore the mis-labeling of this as "Utah State's fight song". That is incorrect.

emily said...

darn. can't see the video. i keep checking back, but no luck each time.

The Stones said...

loved the update... hope all is well. the boys love seeing their cousins

the.lamb.castle@gmail.com said...

They are adorable! I think I just became an aggie fan because Spencer and Colin are so cute.
Fun video!
h

Anonymous said...

As a "true Aggie," myself, I am impressed with my grandsons blue-blooded rendition of the Scotsman! Fantastic!
Great Blog, Katie and Shane!

Love from Mom/Grandma Kay!