May 18, 2008

What's new with me

As many of you may know I was diagnosed with Chiari 1 Malformation in mid-March. (See information below) Things had to move quickly because of our new job opportunity in Georgia. I had my first CAT scan on Monday, the MRI on Tuesday, and recieved my results on Wednesday. By the next Tuesday I was meeting with the neurosurgeon, and scheduled my surgery for the following Monday.

March 24, 2008 I arrived at 6am and from there went in for my surgery. The surgery lasted under 2 hours. Shane was there by my side and my boys were with my friend Ariel in Atlanta. I was released from the hospital on Saturday for 48 hours, but had to return on Monday due to infection. I then had 2 more surgeries, spent over a week in ICU and a few more nights on the neurosurgery floor. They sent me home with a picc line for antibiotics and pain meds which I kept in for 2 weeks.

I am now doing much better. I am about 80% to full health. The doctors say it will take a few months to be 100%. My head is still numb and I still suffer from headaches, and I still take it easy as far as exercising, lifting and a lot of activity. I look forward to feeling better and I am so grateful for all the love and support I have received from everyone during this time in my life.


Chiari 1 Malformation:

What is Chiari Malformation?

Chiari malformation is a condition in which brain tissue protrudes into your spinal canal. It occurs when a portion of your skull is abnormally small or misshapen, pressing on your brain and forcing it downward. Although Chiari malformation is uncommon, it's now diagnosed more frequently, largely due to improved imaging tests.

Chiari malformation is usually present at birth (congenital), but it can develop in some children after they are born. Signs and symptoms may not occur until adulthood.

Doctors categorize Chiari malformation into several types, depending on the amount of brain tissue that is pushed down into the spinal canal, and whether developmental abnormalities of the brain or spine are present. The more common types are less severe and involve less displaced tissue. Other types are rare and more severe.

Treatment for Chiari malformation depends on its severity and the characteristics of your condition. Regular monitoring, medications and surgery are all treatment options.

Signs and Symptoms:

Headaches, often severe, are the classic symptom of Chiari malformation. They are typically precipitated with sudden coughing, sneezing or straining. People with Chiari malformation type I also can experience:

* Neck pain (running down the shoulders at times)
* Unsteady gait (problems with balance)
* Poor hand coordination (fine-motor skills)
* Numbness and tingling of the hands and feet
* Dizziness
* Difficulty swallowing (sometimes accompanied by gagging, choking and vomiting)
* Vision problems (blurred or double vision)
* Slurred speech

Less often, people with Chiari malformation may experience:

* Ringing or buzzing in the ears (tinnitus)
* Poor bladder control
* Chest pain, in a band-like pattern around the chest
* Curvature of the spine (scoliosis) related to spinal cord impairment
* Abnormal breathing — specifically, sleep apnea characterized by periods of breathing cessation during sleep

Some people have occasional "dropping" episodes — feeling faint and unexpectedly collapsing to the floor, losing consciousness for a few seconds.

2 comments:

lynnett said...

Sure glad you made it alive through all 3 surgeries and you are on the upswing!!! I love you. Mom

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Blog! You are so creative at everything! Glad you are feeling better! A person's perspective becomes more-intensely keen in life-threatening circumstances. Your challenges brought much into focus for many of us, one of which is that it important for YOU to be told HOW MUCH we LOVE YOU, and for each of us to make the most of time with one another. Love, Kay